Saturday, November 19, 2011

Travels Around Big Spring Creek near Newville, PA

Today I ventured solo to Newville, PA. I wanted to see the tunnel under the old railroad and bridges that crossed the creek. It was a clear day, minimal clouds and temps were in the low-mid 50s.


What I found...
Photo of old railroad crossing
The tunnel made by Cumberland Valley Railroad that crosses Big Spring Creek on the north side has been replaced by a steel pipe.  Remnants of stone work can be seen, but this looks nothing like the photo I saw on Panoramio *bummer*


Photo of the south side of the old railroad crossing


On the south side a large concrete tunnel, very common for railroads to use crossing streets is seen here crossing the creek.
Abutment


Rail trail signage


Western abutment to CVRR
Also around this area, is the western abutment to the CVRR which crossed Big Spring Road and the start of the CVRR RailTrail.


Concrete remnants of some type of structure
To the north of the old railroad is what I believe might be a mill or something...seems odd to have another mill so close to MacFarland's Mill.
Concrete remnants of some type of structure


Concrete curb remnants of some type of structure


Concrete foundation remnants of some type of structure


Concrete foundation remnants of some type of structure







Which brings me to MacFarland's Mill, well actually Green Ridge Road Bridge. 
Former bridge abutment for Green Ridge Road
There's an old abutment at a skew on the Big Spring Road side which makes me wonder if they decided a 90 degree angle was better for making right hand turns to travel to Newville.


Green Ridge Road BridgeThis stringer crosses into a retirement community. The current bridge is where MacFarland's Mill formerly existed. It was constructed around 1756 and was a flour mill, paper mill, and finally as a knitting mill. The mill and dam were dismantled in 1950. After you pass the Green Ridge Road bridge you will see a structure on the left that I am guessing is a spring house. It is at this point that I realized I need to learn more about older structures. 


Spring house


Historic Big Spring Creek stone bridge
On a previous trip I photographed the historic Big Spring 
Creek bridge which is made of stone. So this trip, I did not photograph it (but I included a shot for your viewing pleasure).




Private wooden bridge over waterwayPrivate wooden bridge over waterway
My next stop was a private road which I decided to cross because no signs said not to trespass.












The bridge had steel stringers and a timber deck. The wood wobbled as I crossed it...




... and at a closer look I could see why!
Private wooden bridge over waterway


Idyllic view of fishing area of creek
Upstream from this bridge is an idyllic view. In this shot you can see the man-made rip rap. 


Modern culvert
Further upstream, continuing to travel south west, I came across the intersection with Nealy Road. I found a modern concrete culvert that was built in 2006. To the northwest side of the bridge is where Irvin's Mill (also known as Keck's Mill) use to stand. 











McCracken Mill's dam
My last destination was an area I noticed on Google Maps so I had to see what it was. I hit the jackpot. It was the site of McCracken Mill which is noted as the "most important mill along the course of Big Spring." (Kressler, 1965) 








USGS Gauge near McCracken Mill's dam
USGS has one of their gauges here (notice the metal in the middle of the shot).





Barrel Factory




Across from the Mill and Log Cabin Road is the Barrel Factory. This building is mysterious...unknown date of creation and an second floor added later.



Barrel Factory

 Creek below dam
The last attraction on my trip was the Big Spring Road Bridge. This 64' long, two-span bridge is a steel stringer built in 1932 and rehabbed in 1950. This is downstream about 300 yards from the old mill.

Big Spring Road Bridge

Big Spring Road Bridge



CREDITS:
http://webspace.ship.edu/tmhurd/BSWARCPFinal.pdf
http://www.aquaticinstitute.com/The-Mills-of-Big-Spring-Creek-Newville-PA.html
http://pennsylvaniaflyfishing.blogspot.com/2006/11/rebirth-of-big-spring-creek.html
http://www.cumberlink.com/news/local/article_b1d4f914-c15e-11e0-b32d-001cc4c03286.html
http://bigspringwatershedbarrel.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment